Tuesday, November 17, 2009

What Are They Thinking?

Ok, so on MSN.com (where, if you've noticed by now, I get basically all my news), I saw this article about one of the five al-Qaida members being tried in the U.S. for their parts in the Sept. 11 attacks. While I was mildy upset about them being tried in civilian court, I'm more upset to learn that Zacarias Moussaoui escaped the death penalty. I know I'm supposed to be against the death penalty, seeing as that's what Sister Grace told me in fourth grade, but seriously? This man is responsible for the worst attack on American soil. He's responsible for over 3,000 American deaths. Apparently, the US court system is going to let one wretched life go unharmed while thousands were trapped in hijacked planes and burning buildings because of this a**hole. I mean, really? Where's the justice that is supposed to be upheld? What about all those families who lost loved ones on 9/11, who were counting on the US court system to deliver a just punishment? I just don't see the justice in this. I've heard of getting away with murder, but getting away with over 3,000 murders?!

Also, I don't really know a whole lot about the five being tried now, but I'm assuming they are not U.S. citizens, so why are they being tried in CIVILIAN courts? And, according to the article, Massaoui was expected to make anti-US tirades when in the courtroom (although he didn't). I feel like this man has made a mockery of the US (court system and all). I know America is the land of second chances, but this guy has to be on his third or fourth. When's it going to end? When he gets released for good behavior?

No comments:

Post a Comment